Monday 4 June 2012

Waste not, want not

Anyone who knows me, knows I love my food and that I can't stand wasting it. Whether it's giving away the last piece of pie to a neighbour, or taking leftover muffins to work, wasting food just seems plain wrong.

Unfortunately, I'm just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to forgetting what's in the fridge. So, discovering today I had a small mountain of wilting spinach and a baby gem, I recalled a recipe from Mr Rick Stein. Now, unfortunately, this recipe is now only available in his book - I had hoped to link to it on the BBC website, but it's been taken down. So, this is, I guess, my variation, written as I've cooked it this afternoon - of course, you can edit this to your own tastes.

Baked Greek Omelette
I small leek
1 red pepper
1 pack of Feta cheese
2-300g of 'greens' (I used little gem and spinach, but watercress, lettuce and rocket are good, kale or even cabbage).
6 eggs
1 tablespoon dill (dried or fresh) finely chopped
1 tablespoon mint (dried or fresh) finely shredded
1 ovenproof dish
Oil for frying

Preheat your oven to Gas Mark 5 (around 190 degrees for those of you with electric).

Chop your leek into half moons, dice the red pepper and pop these into a frying pan with a little oil. Fry gently until the leek is transparent, then add your greens, dill and mint. Allow the greens to wilt and in the meantime, dice the feta and pop it in the bottom of your oven proof dish. Once the greens have wilted, lay these in the dish, on top of the feta. Break your eggs into a dish, beat them well, add salt and pepper if you like and pour over the greens and cheese.

Pop into the oven for around half an hour, til the egg is nice and set.

Serve hot or cold with some new potatoes :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment